Tuesday, August 7, 2012

3 Weeks Old!! Times is already flying!!

I can't believe the boys are already 3 weeks old today and that all the craziness that happened that day has already been 3 weeks ago. The day our lives changed forever and we became mommy and daddy. We definitely couldn't imagine our lives without the boys even though we don't have them at home yet, we are still in love and think about them all the time and can't wait to bring them home.

Me and Ronnie went to visit the boys today and they were being taken care of by Rebecca and Elliott. They told us right away when we had gotten there that Westyn had been moved into an OPEN CRIB!! I was so excited!! One step closer to marking off the 3 things in order to go home hopefully. He was swaddled up with an outfit on and laying peacefully. Rebecca showed me how to lower the side of the crib so I can just pick him up on my own instead of having them hand him over to me. I was so thrilled to be able to do it all on my own. I asked Ronnie if he wanted to hold him, but ever since we asked the nurse Sunday about the Tdap (Whooping cough) vaccine and if she recommended it and she said yes because they think it's going to be a bad year for it. He doesn't want to hold them until he gets it so he doesn't spread anything to them. So of course there was no complaints from me since I got to hold him and get my time in for the day. He was just so content and happy. We have moved from kangaroo care to just holding them and I love it because I get to look at their little faces the whole time.

After I enjoyed my time with Westyn we moved over to Wesley room and the first thing I noticed with him was that he was in his first outfit!! I was so happy to see him progressing as well and it just made me smile to see how big their little outfits are on them even though it's a preemie size! While I was holding Wesley, Ronnie was trying to figure out who he resembles. Ronnie is thinking he is more the Riske side, but I still can't decide. Wesley is still on his oxygen and while I was there I saw it was on 23.3% which is very close to the air we breathe of 21%. Rebecca said they are slowing trying to wing him off it so hopefully he will be off it soon. She said that he is also close to being in an open crib. His issolette is on air temperature and now it's just up to Wesley to control his body temp so he can move to a big boy bed like his brother.

Stats:
Westyn - 3lbs 13.7ounces
Wesley - 3lbs 13.9ounces

They have also had to decrease Wesley feedings because he is gaining too quickly so he is back down to an ounce (30ml) and Westyn is still at 33ml's. They did decrease Westyn's calories from 25 to 23 and are doing 2 parts breast milk to 1 part formula. Wesley is at 25 calories and still 1 part breast milk to 1 part formula.

We had a great visit today and I was just so excited to see how they are progressing. I just love going and seeing all the great steps up that they are accomplishing. I am hoping that here within the next couple of days or next week we are able to start trying to feed them and see how they do with nursing and the bottle. The nurse yesterday told me that the feeding part can be the lengthiest, but hopefully the boys are strong and get a hang of it quick so they can become NICU graduates.

Until next time!! Keep the prayers coming!! God is working his miracles on our little miracles!!

No comments:

Post a Comment